Brighton’s anticipated Christmas light’s switch-on is almost upon us and this year promises to be bigger, better and more Brighton than ever!
From 5pm on Wednesday 16th November, the city will start its festive celebrations with a FREE party in East Street as Phats and Small (Turn Around) and Brighton DJ George Kwali (Crank It) take to the live stage with their chart topping hits. Home grown talent Theatre Workshop and the Dionne Slater Singing Group will also wow the crowds with their performances.
Then Brighton legend, actor and comedian Steve Coogan will have the all-important task of counting down and flicking the switch to unveil Brighton’s festive lights.
This year’s Christmas lights are themed to reflect the city’s eclectic, fun and social atmosphere with words and emojis lighting up Western Road – including ‘Fairy’ and ‘Ding Dong’ (who could resist a selfie under either?!), along with playful twinkling tidings in North Laine and a gorgeous golden canopy of lights in The Lanes.
Gavin Stewart, CEO of Brilliant Brighton, who organise the event with Juice 107.2 says: “We’re really looking forward to this year’s big Christmas light switch-on, it’s a great opportunity for the city’s residents and businesses to get together and celebrate Brighton at the most wonderful time of year!”
“We hope to see as many people come down and join the party, as well as taking selfies with their favourite lights too!”
Adding further fun to the festivities is the exciting raffle, in association with local children’s charity; Rockinghorse.
Just some of the fabulous prizes donated from generous Brighton businesses include:
• a made to measure shirt and styling consultation (worth over £160) from tailors Gresham Blake
• a luxurious cut and blow dry treatment with a senior stylist from Simon Webster Hair (worth £55)
• a Chocolate Truffle Advent Calendar from Choccywoccydoodah
• A £30 gift voucher from Gourmet Burger Kitchen
• A gorgeous gift set from Tinc
• 3 therapy gift sets from Crabtree & Evelyn
• 12 Beers of Christmas Bottlebox from Bison Beer
• A Penguin print (worth £80!) from Dark Water Gallery
• A gift voucher from Guru
• A delicious burger meal for 2 from Brighton Burger
• A delightful Christmas hamper (packed with goodies!) from Virgin Money
• Haircut and products from North Laine Hair Company
• £25 voucher to spend in Creased
• £50 voucher for a magical meal in Café Rouge
• A £100 gift voucher from sensational seafood restaurant English’s of Brighton
More details will be announced in the run up to the big day! So keep checking back and don’t forget to follow us on Twitter (@brillbrighton)!